Wednesday, March 12, 2014

GAME Plan



I have reviewed the International Society for Technology in Education Standards to determine the indicators on which I can improve my teaching practice and create a GAME plan (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).  One goal I have is to “[d]esign or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity”.  One action I will take to achieve the goal is to use personal devices during small group instruction.  I have realized that I do not offer as many opportunities as I should for students to interact with technology for meaningful learning experiences.  For example, I will allow students to create digital artwork including letters and captured images of items that begin with each letter.  I may use these digital work samples to create a digital book on a personal device for the students to read in the library center.  I will monitor progress by ensuring that all students have an opportunity to use the devices frequently to create artifacts to showcase learning in a media of their choice given various applications.  I will post their work to our class blog to promote students using the technology.  My learning will be evaluated and extended after seeing the work the students create and determining how the students can be guided to use a larger variety of digital tools for creativity and showcase of learning.
Another goal that I have is to “[c]ommunicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital age media and formats” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).  An action I will take to achieve this goal is to use the classroom blog to communicate events, exciting achievements, and student work with parents and students.  Since my students are generally incapable of searching for our blog, I plan to create a quick response code linked to our blog for students to be able to see our blog just by scanning the code.  I will monitor my progress by communicating with parents to gain feedback on the blog as to what can be added.  My learning will be evaluated by taking the parent comments and the frequency of students viewing the blog into consideration to determine the effectiveness of the communication.  Next, I will extend my learning by adjusting the blog components to ensure parent satisfaction and student engagement.
The next goal that I have is to “[p]romote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness” (ISTE source).  The actions I will take to achieve this goal are to encourage students to create something different than their peers, look outside the classroom for student inspiration such as at a nearby park, and post work that is truly innovative to encourage individual thought.  I will monitor the progress by looking at the work of my students to determine how including these actions evolves their work into more creative work.  Then, I will evaluate the students’ work and my teaching practices to determine how I can change my teaching and the classroom environment into a more creative classroom.  The goal can be extended by allowing more media to be used for creativity.
References
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I enjoyed reading your post. I think the goal to “[p]romote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness” is an excellent standard to explore (ISTE source).One strategy to help achieve this goal is by creating a rubric for the students. The rubric will help students understand the components of the assignment. Furthermore, the rubric might help students to stay on task and expand on their creative thinking.
    In Addition, I liked the idea of having students look outside the classroom for student inspiration. I think allowing the students to take virtual field trips related to the assignment would help them become inspired. I feel your goals are engaging and rigor for your grade level.

    Ella Owoundi

    References

    International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella,
      Thank you for your suggestion about using rubrics. I think that will help me work to achieve my goals and assess my teaching and student learning. For prekindergarten, rubrics need to be very simple. Thus, I am beginning to incorporate simple rubrics with one to two categories. The students seem to do well with the rubrics involving one category. For major projects, I include more categories due to the fact that there are multiple steps to projects.

      Ashley Davis

      Delete
  2. Ashley,

    I love your idea to make a digital book especially with the incorporation of artwork! Giving your students the opportunity to create something collaboratively with make their learning experience more successful. Depending on what type of deceives your students have access to, I have a few applications that work well for digital story telling:
    • There’s Book Creator for Apple devices which is great and easy to use if you don’t mind paying five dollars for it. It will so be available for android users soon: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/book-creator-for-ipad/id442378070?mt=8
    • Apple’s Story Patch is cheaper and very easy to use. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/story-patch/id388613157?mt=8
    • You might also think about letting your students turn their books into a stop motion short film. Check out what this art teacher is doing with technology in her classroom. http://minimatisse.blogspot.com/2014/03/stop-motion-whats-my-job.html

    Great post, Ashley. I hope these resources help. Good Luck!

    Lindsey Riker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey,
      I love the resources you shared with me. I reviewed the Book Creator app. I think this app will be worth spending five dollars. The capability to share the books is very important in making the experiences with this app more meaningful. However, I do agree that the Story Patch app would be easier for my students to use in the beginning. Both apps could be used effectively by the students once they have enough practice. The blog post that you linked in your response has provided me with a great idea that I will be able to try with my students for our upcoming planting unit. Thank you so much for sharing these resources.

      Ashley Davis

      Delete
  3. Ashley,
    I love the digital storybooks too. I was thinking about if you let the students use digital cameras to take pictures of items that begin with the letter of the week. You could then put the students pictures onto the computer and then allow the students to show their pictures to the rest of the class. It would allow the students to be the teacher. Have a great say!
    BJ Fontalbert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. That is a great idea. They love to pretend to be the teacher. I will absolutely be trying that.

    ReplyDelete