Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Carrying Out My GAME Plan



As I take a moment to review the three goals of my GAME plan to improve my teaching practice, I think about the resources I need to have available, additional information I need from colleagues or students, and the steps I have attempted so far.  To carry out my first goal of incorporating more digital tools to promote student learning and creativity, I will need to maintain charged personal devices for the students to use during small group time (ISTE, 2008).  So far, I have shown the students how to find letters in the classroom or create letters with the toys.  Some of the students, using their creativity, have created collages of letters using the PicCollage application.  One student went around the classroom taking pictures of the letter “A”.  She found several of the letter “A” to take pictures for her collage.  I encouraged other students who began taking pictures of other letters.  Variety in technology is important (Laureate Education Inc., 2009b).  John Ross mentions that teachers usually can, as I would like to, attend professional development to learn about technology that is available to use to assist the students in showing their skills (Laureate Education Inc., 2009b).  I would like to have some additional information from students about what they know and their creative talents as I collect their work samples.
The next goal I have is to communicate information to students, parents, and peers using digital media (ISTE, 2008).  My plan for this goal is to effectively use the classroom blog as a way of communication.  Before using the blog, I decided to use the Remind 101 application to send emails and text messages to parents.  I did not receive as much response as I would have liked to.  As I attempt to use the blog for communication, I feel that I will be more successful since more media can be posted to the blog such as announcements, pictures, and videos.  I feel that I will receive more response with more exciting media posted.  In addition, I could post videos including content or instructions for students and parents to view at home (Laureate Education Inc., 2009a).  This would help extend the learning to the home environment.  The additional information I need is feedback from the parents about what they would like to see on the blog and how often they will be able to access the blog, if at all.
My third goal is promoting creative, innovative, and inventive thinking (ISTE, 2008).  I was able to provide the students with a writing prompt about how to catch a leprechaun.  The students mostly came up with some variation of putting the leprechauns in a box or cage.  I realized that their writing samples were not very creative, innovative, or inventive.  Thus, I realized that I should enhance their imaginations.  I took the students outside to the playground and the wooded area near the playground on a leprechaun hunt.  Outside, we looked around at the imaginary rainbows which were only imaginary and pots of gold which were tree stumps.  I had the students look for an imaginary leprechaun and try to catch him.  The nature elements sparked their imagination and gave them ideas of how to catch the leprechaun.  Next, I plan to use iPods for the students to create skits showing how to catch a leprechaun.  I would like more information on how to create more creative environments to engage the students in their own creativity and inventiveness.
References
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for
teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009a). Integrating technology across the
content areas: Meeting students' needs with technology, part 1. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009b). Integrating technology across the
content areas: Meeting students' needs with technology, part 2. Baltimore, MD: Author.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I enjoyed reading your blog about achieving your third goal which involved creative, innovative, and inventive thinking. I loved how you observed the students’ answers from the writing prompt. You were able to assess the students were not thinking creatively and you took another direction. I think taking the students to the playground to think more creatively was a great idea. You even modeled for the students your own imagination to help them. Furthermore, I know the students will enjoy using the Ipods to create skits. In finding more creative environments, maybe watching animate videos for ideas or taking virtual field trips could help your students.

    Ella Owoundi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella,
      Thank you for your ideas about watching videos. Videos can be helpful for the students to see what is expected. I love your idea of taking virtual field trips! I really think this could be helpful for my students. However, I was unable to find a virtual field trip about catching a leprechaun. Since I am unable to find one, I feel that we could make our own virtual field trips. Of course for my students, it would be one video or a series of videos showing how to catch a leprechaun. These videos could be saved to take my next year’s students on virtual field trips. The ideas you provided will be meaningful to my students as many of them really want to catch a leprechaun. Assuming you enjoy using virtual field trips, I found an article that we both may find useful. It provides sites for virtual field trips (Kirchen, 2011, p. 23).
      References
      Kirchen, D. J. (2011). Making and Taking Virtual Field Trips in Pre-K and the Primary Grades. YC: Young Children, 66(6), 22-26.

      Ashley Davis

      Delete
  2. Hi Ashley,

    Sounds like you have been busy. I really enjoyed hearing your explanation of your students use of PicCollage! What a wonderful and authentic way to expose them to the everyday use of the letters and words in the world around them. I would be interested in knowing if your students are able to create the collage on their own or if you help them out in this area.
    I too, am about to embark on the blog journey with young students. I am not sure exactly what parents are going to expect, but I think being up front with them and letting them know that you are trying something new and would welcome their feedback and patience is a good place to start. Remember too, that pictures speak a thousand words.

    Good Luck,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee,
      We have been pretty busy outside with the beautiful weather we have had for the past couple of weeks. Most of them create PicCollages with very little help. Usually, the help they need is as a result of choosing a sticker that is not purchased, and they have to cancel instead of purchase the stickers. Some students can get out of it without help. There are a few students who still need some help finding the stickers or the cutting tool. I agree that we need to communicate with our parents about blogging with young students. We often communicate with our parents about our writing expectations that students can copy words in their environment and write the sounds they hear to try to spell words. Many of our parents enjoy seeing the pictures the students take because they are not perfect. They are real time images of engagement in the school environment.

      Ashley Davis

      Delete